Apply for a scaffolding licence
You’ll need a licence if you want to put up scaffolding on the public highway.
You must be a registered scaffolding company to apply for a licence.
If you're unsure if the street is maintained by the council, you can check the list of streets we maintain.
How to apply
You can apply online to purchase a scaffolding licence, it costs £235.
- a copy of your public liability insurance certificate for £10 million
- clear photograph or map of the location
- a copy of your CRSIS qualification or equivalent
- a copy of the New Roads and Street Works Act accreditation (operative and supervisor)
- a precise description of the site where you intend to place the scaffolding
- type of structure and dimension details
- intended start and end date
Renew a scaffolding licence
You can renew a scaffolding licence online, it costs £40.
If you’ve already put up scaffolding
If you’ve already put up scaffolding, you can apply for a retrospective scaffolding licence.
A retrospective scaffolding licence costs £453.20.
Help with your application
If you need any help with your application, email [email protected]