Buckinghamshire Council powers forward with energy-saving LED streetlights rollout

Evenings may now be getting darker, but streetlights across the county are brighter and more energy efficient.

Buckinghamshire Council is delivering on its commitment to upgrade the nearly 29,000 streetlights it maintains to energy-saving LED light bulbs. Over 91% have already been converted and more streetlights, illuminated bollards and signs, and belisha beacons are scheduled for upgrading by the end of the year.

LED lights are a lower wattage than the lighting they are replacing, reducing electricity use by approximately 70%. Further energy savings are made through the fact that most LED streetlights dim to 70% of their brightness after 8pm, and to 50% between 11pm and 5am, before returning to 70% until 6am. In addition, LEDs don’t need time to warm up before they get to their full brightness, unlike sodium lights.

LED lamps typically last more than 10 years, while the previous sodium lamps last around 3 to 4 years and require specialist disposal. They also produce a much better white light than the orange light synonymous with sodium/SON lamps. This improves colour definition, leading to better-lit environments and security benefits including for CCTV.

Steven Broadbent, Buckinghamshire Council’s Cabinet Member for Transport, said: “For the last few years, through a carefully planned programme of improvements and investment we have been progressively converting streetlights to this clearer, more efficient way of lighting our streets. We are reaping the benefits in energy usage, longer life, and reduced maintenance – as well as better-lit streets.”

This year, the council’s Buckinghamshire Highways partnership has completed a number of major lighting projects, including at Aylesbury’s Great Western Street bus station underpass and coming up soon is an update of the streetlights at the M40/Pyebush junction of the A355 at Beaconsfield.

Visit FixMyStreet to report problems with streetlights maintained by Buckinghamshire Council. Any that can’t be found through this link are usually owned by the local town or parish council, who should be contacted to report the fault.