Apply to correct a public right of way

The Definitive Map and Statement is the legal record of public rights of way. You can apply to correct the map if you have evidence that proves that it's inaccurate or incomplete.

For example:

  • the position of a right of way is incorrect
  • a path regularly used by horse riders is recorded as a footpath instead of a bridleway

We recommend you contact [email protected] to discuss the correction before applying.

If you believe that there is a public right of way we are unaware of, you can apply to record it.

Who can correct the definitive map and statement

You can apply if you are:

  • an individual
  • a parish council
  • a user group of the way or path (for example, Ramblers)

How to apply

As a part of the application, you will need to:

  • provide evidence that the path or way is incorrect on the map
  • confirm that each landowner or occupier has been notified of the application

You will need to request and return a Definitive Map Modification Order (DMMO) form by emailing: [email protected]

View our list of DMMO's to check if we have already received an application for the path or way you want to correct.

Notifying the landowner or occupier

When making an application, you must serve a notice to each landowner or occupier affected by:

  • applying for the landownership information through the Land Registry
  • conducting your own local inquiry, such as asking residents about the land

In exceptional cases where a landowner or occupier can not be found, we may allow the notice to be posted at the beginning and end of the route, for the attention of 'owner or occupier'.

Landowners can also apply to protect land from being registered as a public right of way.

How we advertise your application

If we accept the application and make an order, we must advertise it with a notice:

  • in the local newspaper
  • at each end of the path or way

There will be a 42 day consultation period for members of the public to give comments (representations) to be made.

If we receive any comments (representations)

The public will have an opportunity to comment if they are for or against the order. If we do not receive any comments against the Order, then the order will be processed.

If comments are made against the Order and remain unresolved, we will refer the application to the Secretary of State.

Help with your application

For help gathering evidence for your application you can visit:

  • our archives in Aylesbury
  • Ramblers, "Don’t Lose Your Way" project
  • The British Horse Society, "Save Your Route"
  • The Open Space Society