Efficiency standards for landlords

Since April 2018, landlords of privately rented properties have had to make sure that their properties reach at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.

An EPC gives information on the energy efficiency of a property.

Minimum energy efficiency standards

If you're the landlord of privately rented property, your property must reach a minimum EPC rating of E before you can grant a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.

This applies to all privately rented domestic and non-domestic properties in England and Wales.

Energy efficiency improvement requests

If a tenant asks for energy efficiency improvements to their home, you cannot unreasonably refuse consent if:

  • the improvements can be installed at no cost to you
  • the tenant has made a written request


Exemptions may apply if:

  • all relevant energy efficiency improvements have been made and the property remains sub-standard
  • a recommended measure is not a relevant energy efficiency improvement because it cannot be purchased and installed at no cost to the landlord
  • installation of wall insulation is not a relevant energy efficiency improvement due to written expert advice confirming that the measure is not appropriate for the property
  • third party consent is required but cannot be obtained despite reasonable efforts
  • an RICS registered surveyor has confirmed that the installation may have a significant impact on the value of a property

Temporary exemption may also apply if you recently became a landlord. A temporary exemption will last for 6 months from the date you become a landlord.

How to register an energy efficiency exemption

If you qualify for an exemption that means you can continue letting a property below the minimum energy efficiency standard, you must register on the PRS exemptions register (GOV.UK).

We can issue fines of up to £5,000 for landlords who do not comply with the regulations, including failing to properly register an exemption.

Further information