Apply for a gambling premises licence

Under the Gambling Act 2005, you'll need a premises licence to operate a:

  • bingo or betting premises
  • adult gaming centre
  • family entertainment centre

Every premise that requires a premises licence will also need an operator's licence and may also need personal licence from the Gambling Commission.

Who can apply

You can apply for a licence if you:

  • are over the age of 18
  • have the right to occupy the premises
  • are authorised to make such an application (if applying on behalf of a company or partnership)
  • hold (or applied for) a relevant operating licence from the Gambling Commission;

Certain members of staff may also need to hold personal licences from the Gambling Commission

We can only issue a premises licence once you have received your operating licence.


Premises type New licence application Yearly fee (recurring)

Bingo hall



Adult gaming centres



Betting tracks



Family entertainment centres



Betting premises (excluding tracks)



If the premises hasn't been built

You can apply for a provisional statement if:

  • your premises still needs to be built
  • your premises need major alterations
  • you do not have the right to occupy it

Applications cost £782.

Advertising a provisional statement

If you apply for a provisional statement, you'll also need to advertise your application by completing a notice template and:

  • publishing in a local newspaper or newsletter
  • posting it in a convenient place outside the proposed premises for the 28 day period

You'll also need to send the notice of application within seven days of making your application to all responsible authorities.

Prepare your premises plan

You'll need to provide a scale plan of the premises you want to license with your application.

Your plan will will need to show:

  • (a)the extent of the boundary or perimeter of the premises
  • (b)where the premises include, or consist of, one or more buildings, the location of any external or internal walls of each such building
  • (c)where the premises form part of a building, the location of any external or internal walls of the building which are included in the premises
  • (d)where the premises are a vessel or a part of a vessel, the location of any part of the sides of the vessel, and of any internal walls of the vessel, which are included in the premises
  • (e)the location of each point of entry to and exit from the premises, including in each case a description of the place from which entry is made or to which the exit leads
  • (f)any other matter required in accordance with regulations under the Gambling Act 2005

Apply for a premises licence

Before you apply, we recommend reading our gambling policy statement.

To apply:

  1. Download and complete a gambling premises licence application DOCX, 129KB
  2. Check the fee you need to pay for your licence
  3. Pay the correct fee for your premises online
  4. Email your completed application form with premises plan to [email protected]

After you submit your application

All applications will go through a consultation period. We'll issue your licence within 28 days if there are no objections to your application

During this period you must advertise your application.

If any objections are made that can not be resolved through mediation, the application will be heard by our licensing committee within 20 working days of the end of the consultation period.

Advertising your application

You'll need to advertise a notice of your application to let people know that you have applied for a premises licence.

You can do this by:

You must do this at least once in the 10 working days after you submit your application.

Appealing a decision

If you believe the wrong decision has been made, you can appeal if you:

  • are the person that applied
  • made an official representation in favour of the application

You must lodge an appeal at the Magistrates Court within 21 days of the date the applicant was informed of the licensing committee’s decision.

Yearly fees

A yearly fee is due for:

  • bingo premises (£629)
  • family entertainment centres (£604)
  • Betting tracks (£693)
  • Betting (£470)

You can pay a yearly fee online.

Make changes to your licence

You'll need to make changes to an existing licence if you wish to:

  • transfer the licence holder to a new name
  • vary the terms or conditions

Apply to transfer a premises licence

To apply to vary premises licence, you'll need to:

Email your application to [email protected].

Apply to vary a premises licence

The fee for a variation differs depending the type of premises:

  • bingo premises (£1,215)
  • adult gaming centres (£796)
  • family entertainment centres (£796)
  • Betting tracks (£894)
  • Betting (£1,215)

To apply to vary premises licence, you'll need to:

Email your application to [email protected].

Help with your application

If you need help making your application, email [email protected].