Find out about listed buildings
There are currently nearly 5,000 listed buildings across Buckinghamshire.
Once listed, a building has special protection under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 and Buckinghamshire Council.
Buildings are listed for different reasons including:
- architectural or historic value
- links to historic figures or events
- how they were built, or technological advancements
- value as part of a group of buildings or remarkable street scene
Listed buildings are graded to show their importance:
- Grade I: buildings of exceptional interest and national importance
- Grade II star: buildings of particular importance (more than special interest and regional significance)
- Grade II: buildings of special interest and local importance
Read more about the principles of selecting a listed building on Historic England.