Apply for a section 50 licence to dig up or place apparatus in or above the public highway

You'll need a Section 50 licence if you want to install or retain apparatus in or above the public highway.

The licence allows for breaking open the highway, including:

  • carriageways
  • footways and verges
  • any sewer, drain or tunnel in the ground

A Section 50 licence costs £719.

What you'll need

Before you apply online, you must have the following:

  • a location plan or a map of the location
  • an excavation plan with dimensions clearly identified in meters (length, width and depth)
  • site specific traffic management plans
  • name and address of your chosen contractor
  • front and back of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 accreditation, operative and supervisor
  • statutory undertaker plans from your contractor (STAT plans)
  • a copy of your contractor’s risk assessment and method statement (RAMS)
  • a copy of your contractors Public Liability Insurance of £10 million
  • certification or qualification of use of CAT & Gennie location device
  • consent to connect and adoption agreement (if applicable) from the Statutory Undertaker

A bond payment will need to be lodged with us to guarantee that the works are in accordance with the New Roads And Street Works Act 1991 by a period of either 2 years or 3 years depending on the depth of excavation.

Once the reinstatement has been checked and found to be acceptable, the bond will be returned. Allow a minimum 28 days’ notice for this.

Apply now

After you submit your application

Applications will take a minimum of 4 weeks to complete from when we've received a fully completed application.

If you've already started work

If you've already started the works, you'll need to apply for a retrospective Section 50 licence.

A retrospective licence costs £1,426.

Help with your application

If you need any help or support with your application, email [email protected]