Apply for a section 50 licence to dig up or place apparatus in or above the public highway
You'll need a Section 50 licence if you want to install or retain apparatus in or above the public highway.
The licence allows for breaking open the highway, including:
- footways and verges
- any sewer, drain or tunnel in the ground
A Section 50 licence costs £719.
What you'll need
Before you apply online, you must have the following:
- a location plan or a map of the location
- an excavation plan with dimensions clearly identified in meters (length, width and depth)
- site specific traffic management plans
- name and address of your chosen contractor
- front and back of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 accreditation, operative and supervisor
- statutory undertaker plans from your contractor (STAT plans)
- a copy of your contractor’s risk assessment and method statement (RAMS)
- a copy of your contractors Public Liability Insurance of £10 million
- certification or qualification of use of CAT & Gennie location device
- consent to connect and adoption agreement (if applicable) from the Statutory Undertaker
A bond payment will need to be lodged with us to guarantee that the works are in accordance with the New Roads And Street Works Act 1991 by a period of either 2 years or 3 years depending on the depth of excavation.
Once the reinstatement has been checked and found to be acceptable, the bond will be returned. Allow a minimum 28 days’ notice for this.
After you submit your application
Applications will take a minimum of 4 weeks to complete from when we've received a fully completed application.
If you've already started work
If you've already started the works, you'll need to apply for a retrospective Section 50 licence.
A retrospective licence costs £1,426.
Help with your application
If you need any help or support with your application, email [email protected]