Apply for a Section 171 licence to do minor works on a road

Who should apply

You need a Section 171 licence if you:

  • want to undertake small excavations on the public highway (this includes trial holes and minor highway alterations)
  • want to book road space where tree felling or hedge cutting works can be carried out
  • want to put up Christmas decorations and banners or bunting

A Section 171 licence costs £193.

Apply for a Section 171 licence

To apply, you'll need:

  • a location plan or a map of the location
  • site specific traffic management plans (this must comply with Chapter 8 and installed by a suitably qualified operative)
  • name and address of your chosen contractor
  • front and back of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 accreditation, operative and supervisor
  • statutory undertaker plans from your contractor (STAT plans)
  • a copy of your contractor’s risk assessment and method statement (RAMS)
  • a copy of your contractor's Public Liability Insurance of £10 million
  • certification or qualification of use of CAT & Gennie location device
Apply now

After you submit your application

Applications will take approximately 4 weeks to complete from when we have received a fully completed application.

If you've already started work

If you've already started the works, you'll need to apply for a retrospective 171 licence.

A retrospective licence costs £259.

Help with your application

If you need any help or support, email [email protected].