Apply for a Section 171 licence to do minor works on the public highway (including Christmas decorations and banners)
You need a Section 171 licence if you:
- want to undertake small excavations on the public highway (this includes trial holes and minor highway alterations)
- want to book road space where tree felling or hedge cutting works can be carried out
- want to put up Christmas decorations and banners or bunting
A Section 171 licence costs £165.
What you'll need
Before you apply, you must have:
- a location plan or a map of the location
- site specific traffic management plans (this must comply with Chapter 8 and installed by a suitably qualified operative)
- name and address of your chosen contractor
- front and back of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 accreditation, operative and supervisor
- statutory undertaker plans from your contractor (STAT plans)
- a copy of your contractor’s risk assessment and method statement (RAMS)
- a copy of your contractor's Public Liability Insurance of £10 million
- certification or qualification of use of CAT & Gennie location device
If you've already started work
If you've already started the works, you'll need to apply for a retrospective 171 licence.
A retrospective licence costs £221.45.
After you submit your application
Applications will take approximately 4 weeks to complete from when we have received a fully completed application.
Help with your application
If you need any help or support with your application, email [email protected].