Bernwood Jubilee Way trail
Brill to Boarstall circular walk
Total distance: 5.5 miles (9km).
A printed map of this route is included in the Bernwood Jubilee Way guidebook. Details on how to request a copy can be found on the introduction page.
(1) Begin at Brill. Parking is available by the windmill or the Red Lion pub, then make your way to Tram Hill next to Temple Farm.
(2) Go up the hill. The Jubilee Way turns left into a small passageway. This is opposite the Fire Station and next to the Magistrates’ Court.
(3) At the cricket pitch, turn right towards a linear earthwork. This is possibly the ruins of Brill’s former royal hunting lodge.
(4) Follow the Jubilee Way from the church down Church Street to the village green.
(5) Bear left along Brill Road. Take the narrow footpath on the right of the road that runs between a group of houses. Continue over a stile into a narrow paddock.
(6) Cross another stile at the furthest end, bear right along the track towards South Hills. You will see views of the 16th century post mill and possibly red kites.
(7) On the edge of Brill Common an area shaped by clay workings for brick making and the Brill pottery industry.
(8 and 9) Walk around a small cottage with the windmill behind you. The path descends through three open fields by crossing stiles.
(10 and 11) Pass through a narrow strip of woodland and scrub. You will come out onto a country lane beside Span Green and Touchbridge.
(12) At the parish boundary you can see views eastwards towards the village of Boarstall. Muswell Hill is to the north.
(13) Turn left and follow the road down hill passing Muswell Hill until it meets the junction with the B4011.
(14) Cross the road. The path runs through an overgrown area of scrub. Go through two fields towards Manor Farm and the entrance to the National Trust Boarstall Duck Decoy.
(15 and 16) Follow the road south through the village and down past Boarstall Tower.
(17 and 18) Cross the road opposite the church. Return to Brill heading south across fields. This passes Boarstall Wood and via Boarstall Wood Cottage.
The walk returns to Brill across the B4011. This is off the Jubilee Way and along Span Green, arriving at Touchbridge. Here you can retrace your steps back to Brill from steps 12 to 1.