The transfer of the responsibility for public health from the NHS to local government is one of the most significant extensions of local government powers and duties in a generation and offers a unique opportunity to improve the lives of our residents.
We now commission a range of services that help people lead healthier lives, for example:
- services that reduce the risk of poor development in babies
- keep school children healthy
- that help build emotional resilience in our young people
- reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, dementia, diabetes, falls, obesity and sexually transmitted infections
Our mission is to support people to:
- take control of their own health, whatever their age, and
- to create conditions for people to thrive in Buckinghamshire
More information on public health and services in Buckinghamshire are on the health and wellbeing webpages.