Support for adoptive parents
Our post-order support team provide support for adoptive parents after they have completed the assessment process.
We recognise that adoptive parents and their children may require ongoing support or assistance at specific times during their lives, and we are always on hand to provide this.
Support with finances
If you adopt with us, we will offer you means tested financial assistance based on your child's particular needs.
Adoption Support Fund
Your family may be eligible for the Adoption Support Fund. The fund aims to allow families better access to therapeutic support. Find out if you're eligible for the Adoption Support Fund.
Adoption leave and pay
If you are employed and take time off work to adopt a child, you might be eligible for statutory adoption leave and pay.
Find out more about your options for time off when you adopt a child.
Support with parenting
Part of the assessment and the report to the adoption panel will focus on what adoption support services the parent and child will benefit from.
This can include:
- counselling, advice and information
- support groups for adoptive parents and children
- support for contact arrangements between adoptive children and birth relatives
- therapeutic services
- specialist training
How we keep in touch with you
Our support doesn't end once the Adoption Order is in place.
We like to keep in touch with you to check that you and your family are doing well and that you are kept up to date with the support we offer.
We keep in touch through:
- twice yearly social events
- a monthly newsletter
- contact reviews
- educational consultations with the Virtual School to ensure your child is accessing all available support to allow them to thrive at school
- life story consultations with dedicated Life Story workers as your child learns about and works through their personal story
Contact our advice line
Further support can be accessed by requesting an assessment of need. You can discuss this by contacting the advice line.
Contact the Adoption Support team on 01494 586 626.
The advice line is available:
- Monday and Friday: 10am to 1.30pm
- Wednesday: 1:30pm to 5pm