Black History Month Recipe: Jamaican Rice and Peas
As part of our Black History Month celebrations, we are looking at some delicious recipes from around the world. Serve rice and peas as a side with Caribbean-style jerk chicken, or other barbecued meats. The 'peas' are actually kidney beans!
What you'll need:
2x 400g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
400ml can of low-fat coconut cream
1 Scotch Bonnet pepper (optional)
½ tsp fresh thyme
½ tsp ground allspice
6 spring onions, sliced
200g long grain rice
- Pour 2 tinned rice and peas or kidney beans into a medium-sized pot
- Boil with fresh thyme for approx. 5 minutes
- Add mixed herbs to the pot whilst it's boiling
- Add 1 scotch bonnet – optional whilst beans are boiling
- Add one tin of coconut cream and allow to boil until it looks cooked
- Add rice into pot and allow to boil for a few minutes and turn heat right down
- Cover with foil
- Cook and stir every ten minutes until cooked
- Remove thyme and serve
If you're trying this recipe out, remember to tag us on social media and let us know how it went!
If you found this article insightful and are celebrating Black History Month, why not get in touch with us and tell us what you're doing? We're available at [email protected].