Guide to starting school or moving up to junior school
Moving up to junior school and middle school transfer
Children at infant schools usually move up to a junior school, or in some cases to a combined school that admits extra children into Year 3.
Most combined schools, those that admit children from reception through to Year 6, only admit children into the reception (Foundation 2) year.
There are 29 combined schools in Buckinghamshire who admit additional children into Year 3 and they are listed below and in the school directory with an additional admission number. For example the admission number for Brookmead School says:
- Reception: 50
- Year 3: 10
This means that the school admits 50 children into Reception and 10 extra children into Year 3.
You can apply for a Year 3 place at one of the schools listed below via the infant to junior transfer process.
The online application portal opens on 4 November and the closing deadline is midnight on 15 January 2023.
You can log back in to change your application at any time before the deadline. Once you submit your application you'll automatically be sent an email confirming which schools you've applied for.
View the admission rules for the community and voluntary-controlled junior and combined schools. In addition, some schools give priority of admission to children in certain infant schools, these are called ‘linked schools’.
If you're unable to make an application online, your child’s infant school will have a small supply of paper applications from the end of October 2022.
The latest date for you to hand your application in to your child’s infant school is 9am on 13 January 2023. The school will then send the application to the admissions and transport team.
If you want to apply for a Year 3 place for September at a combined school that does not admit additional children into Year 3, you have to tell us your preferences using an in-year application. You can do this from 8 May 2022.
School name and number of children admitted into Year 3
- Bedgrove Junior School: 120
- Beechview Junior School: 60
- Broughton Junior: 60
- Brushwood Junior School: 64
- Carrington Junior: 60
- Chalfont St Giles Junior School: 60
- Chalfont St Peter Academy: 90
- Elangeni School: 60
- Farnham Common Junior School: 60
- Haddenham Junior School: 90
- Holmer Green Junior: 60
- Holy Trinity CE School: 90
- Iver Heath Junior School: 60
- Iver Village Junior School: 60
- Manor Farm Community Junior School: 60
- Prestwood Junior School: 60
- St Edwards RC Junior School: 65
- Swanbourne CE School: 30
- Thomas Harding Junior: 60
- Turnfurlong Junior School: 90
- Tylers Green Middle School: 64
- Wendover Junior School: 90
- Woodside Junior School: 60
Combined schools (that admit additional children into their Year 3)
- Bierton CE Combined School: 2
- Brookmead School: 10
- Burford School: 4
- Cheddington Combined School: 2
- Chesham Bois CE School: 2
- Curzon CE Combined School: 6
- Denham Green E-Act Academy: 15
- Edlesborough School: 2
- Frieth CE Combined School: 2
- Great Horwood Combined School: 15
- Great Missenden Combined: 60
- Hawridge & Cholesbury CE School: 2
- Hazlemere CE Combined School: 3
- Ivingswood Academy: 2
- Little Chalfont School: 2
- Little Kingshill Combined School: 2
- Longwick CE Combined School: 2
- Monks Risborough CE School: 2
- Our Ladys RC Primary School: 2
- Seer Green CE School: 2
- St John’s CE Combined School: 15
- St Marys CE Primary (Amersham): 6
- St Nicolas CE Combined School: 2
- St Peters CE Primary School: 3
- St James & St John CE School: 3
- St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School: 4
- St Michaels CE School: 3
- St Pauls CE School: 2
- St Peters RC School: 3
- The Stoke Poges School: 4
- Waddesdon Village Primary: 2
- Waterside Primary Academy: 2
- Widmer End Combined School: 2
Lower to middle school transfer - 9+
A few schools in other areas have a three tier system and the children move from lower to middle school at the end of Year 4.
If you live in Buckinghamshire and wish to apply for a place at a middle school in another area, check on their website to find out their deadline dates as they may be different from the deadlines we have for moving to junior school.
An application form is available or you can contact the admissions team and an application can be emailed to you.