Submit a building notice for small-scale building work

Apply by giving building notice if you're carrying out domestic work or small-scale projects.

What you can submit a notice for

Submit a notice for construction work such as:

  • removing 1 or 2 internal load-bearing walls
  • a small single storey domestic extension
  • a new boiler, or other heating appliances
  • a new chimney or flue
  • a new detached garage, carport and outbuildings where not exempt from the building regulations
  • new or replacement windows, rooflights and external doors
  • replacing a roof covering a new bathroom, shower or toilet
  • new drainage or connection to sewer
  • underpinning cavity wall insulation

Find out more about building notice applications (planning portal)


Fees are based on the work you're carrying out. View our full list of building control fees.

Apply online

You can submit a building notice online.

Apply now

Apply by phone

Contact building control team in your local area:

Starting the work

You can start work 48 hours after we've received your application and payment.

Before you start any work, you should notify building control and book a site inspection.

If you have started or finished work without proper approval

If the work has already been started or completed, you'll need to apply for a regularisation certificate.

Help with your submission

If you need advice, you can contact building control.