Request information we have about you or someone you care for

Council officers are focused on supporting public facing support services. The Council recognises the importance of data protection and information legislation rights but currently needs to prioritise other areas of service delivery to safeguard the well-being of our residents during this extraordinary period.

Under the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the right to find out what information about you or someone you care for is stored or used by Buckinghamshire Council.

You can also ask us for copies of your personal information, including electronic surveillance information, for example, CCTV footage.

This is called your right of access and is known as making a Subject Access Request or SAR.

You can find out more about your right of access.

How long does it take?

We have one calendar month to provide access to the information you request, starting from the day we receive your request. For example, if we receive your request on 10 October, we have until 10 November. The time only starts once we receive a clear enough request with the right proof of identity. We will contact you to let you know that the one month period has started.

If your request is complex or you make more than one at the same time, we may take a maximum of 3 calendar months, starting from the day we receive your request. We will contact you to let you know we need extra time.

You can find out more information about time limits for responding to Subject Access Requests.

Before you start

You will need:

  • details of the information you want to access
  • proof of identity that clearly shows your name, date of birth and current address

To prove your name and date of birth you can use your driving license, passport or birth certificate. To prove your address you can use a utility bill, bank statement or council tax bill.

For electronic surveillance data you will also need to provide:

  • a specific date and time, for example, “Friday 25 May 2019 at 1:24am”
  • a detailed description of the search parameters

We will search a timeframe of up to 15 minutes, for example, 1:15am to 1:30am.

Make a Subject Access Request

You can make a Subject Access Request online.

Make a request

If you need help or cannot do this online

If you need help, contact [email protected].

If you cannot do this online, you can make a request by post to:

Data Protection Officer
Buckinghamshire Council
The Gateway
Gatehouse Road
HP19 8FF

Making a complaint

If you are not satisfied with how your request has been handled you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).