Post-16 Transport Policy Statement 2021/22
7. Independent Travel Training
The Council is building on existing Independent Travel Training (ITT) programmes delivered by schools to support students as they transition to adulthood.
This training helps students develop the skills, confidence and knowledge to use transport safely. It covers topics such as road safety, personal safety, money management, journey planning and coping strategies, including:
- confidence in using buses or trains
- personal safety
- how to use timetables and buy tickets
- road safety, including how to cope with traffic on major roads
- what to do when things go wrong (e.g. the bus is late)
For some students ITT would not be appropriate due to their complex needs, but where students have the potential to benefit from ITT we would support them to take part in training.