Post-16 Transport Policy Statement 2022/23
9. Support for students with SEND aged 19-25
There are additional responsibilities under Section 508F and Section 508G of the Education Act 1996 for the Council to provide transport for some students. These students must meet the following criteria:
- be an adult aged between 19 and 25 years with an EHCP
- live in the Local Authority area
- be attending:
- a further education setting
- an education setting maintained or assisted by the local authority and providing further or higher education (or both)
- an educational setting outside the further and higher education sectors, where the local authority has secured education or training and/or boarding accommodation for that learner
- the educational setting must be named in the student’s Education, Health and Care Plan
- the educational setting must be more than 3 miles away from the student’s home address, unless the student is unable to walk that distance as a result of their SEND, even if accompanied, or the route is unsafe
- the student is unable due to his or her special educational needs and disabilities to use public transport independently
Students who have been assessed and are eligible for travel assistance will be allocated travel assistance appropriate to their assessed needs. This may be specialised if they require equipment to enable them to be transported.
Where a student with SEND starts a new course at aged 19 or older, any transport assistance is funded by the Council, as they are Adult Learners. Travel assistance to the educational setting would continue until the end of the academic year in which the student turns 25.
For advice on financial support to access higher education please contact Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607.
9.1 Motability Allowance
Students aged 19-25 with a special educational need or disability may be eligible for a Motability Allowance, depending on the nature of their primary need. For further details please visit the Motability Allowance website.