Young people and homelessness

If you're facing homelessness

If you don't have anywhere to stay, or you're having problems at home, you can contact Buckinghamshire Council's First Response Team who will sign post to help you understand what your options are. You will then be aided in finding local support and what to expect.

If you're aged 16 or 17 the First Response Team can help you. They can give you support and find you somewhere to stay if:

  • you can't return home and have nowhere else to live
  • you’re staying with friends or another family and have been asked to leave
  • your home is unsafe for you (for example, because you're at risk of violence or abuse)

First Response Team

Further Help and Advice

If you're aged 16 or 17 and having to leave home

Our local area housing associations (Aylesbury Vale, Wycombe, Chiltern and South Bucks) have teams of Housing Options Advisers who will listen to you and explain what can be done. They will arrange to see you as soon as possible. A joint assessment between our children and housing services will need to be completed. A Social Worker from the council may also be present because until you're 18 you are still legally a child.

Everything possible will be done to help prevent you being made homeless.

If you’ve been asked to leave home, we can help you return if it’s safe to do so. If you’re being evicted from a tenancy they can negotiate with the landlord to try and offer solutions.

If you're at risk at home

If you're in an abusive or violent relationship, tell someone and get help. The worst thing you can do is keep it to yourself. 

These organisations can help:

  • if you feel your safety is threatened call the police on999
  • if you feel you are in an abusive relationship, call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247
  • if you want someone to talk to for emotional support, call the Samaritans 116 123