Great British Spring Clean
Be a part of this year’s Great British Spring Clean!
Buckinghamshire Council is proud to once again be taking part in and supporting Keep Britain Tidy’s Great British Spring Clean: the country’s biggest mass action environmental campaign. The aim of the campaign is to inspire people to work in partnership with community organisations, businesses and councils to collect and safely dispose of litter from their local streets, parks and beaches.
The Great British Spring Clean encourages local residents to organise a community litter picking event. In our bid to support the campaign and any local litter picking events, Buckinghamshire Council will collect waste from litter picking activities from an agreed, designated point or residential address, if groups contact us in advance. We also loan litter pickers, bags, hoops, high vis vests and gloves (subject to availability).
Last year during the Great British September Clean, Buckinghamshire Council supported litter picking events organised by parish councils, community groups and environmental groups involving over 458 volunteers who together spent 1034 hours litter picking and collected more than 551 bags of rubbish.
To top it off, Buckinghamshire Council won the Great British September Clean Award at the Keep Britain Tidy Network Awards 2021. The National award was given to the council for its entry from the Southern Waste Team which focused on the clean up efforts of residents in the south of the county. So, join our award winning team in standing up to litter for the Great British Spring Clean 2021!
First things first…
- Head over to Keep Britain Tidy to register your litter pick. (This will enable them to keep track of all the good work going on across the country!)
- Whether you’re a group or an individual keen to take part, click on your area below to find out how we can offer support for your litter pick (including loaning equipment and organising bag collection).
- Take to the streets, parks, outside spaces of Buckinghamshire and be a #LitterHero
- Your safety is essential. Please only litter pick where you feel safe and comfortable to do so. Always litter pick in daylight, and wear appropriate clothing and footwear, including a hi vis vest if possible. Please do not litter pick along roads with a speed limit of more than 30mph, highways or highway verges, or any roads where there is no pavement or footpath. Avoid litter picking on steep slopes, cliff edges or in water courses.
- When carrying out your litter pick, if you come across any incidents of fly tipping please leave the waste in situ and report fly tipping online. This will allow us to investigate and arrange for the appropriate organisation to remove the waste. Thank you.
Lastly, we want to celebrate all the fantastic efforts this year so…
- Tell us all about it! Help us record and celebrate your contribution by filling out our online form
- Remember to share your photographs and stories of your event with us! Tag us in your social media posts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @BucksCouncil and use the hashtags #GBSpringClean and #MillionMileMission
- You can also send photos through via email.
Please make sure you have permission from all those in the photo before sharing with Buckinghamshire Council – those under 16 will need the permission of their parent, guardian or carer. Any images shared may be used for promotional purposes online, with local media and on our social media channels.
Together we can make a difference and clean up the environment on our doorstep. Thank you!
Read our Privacy Notice.