Visiting a cemetery
The Easter season is an important time for visiting the graves of family members and friends, but the coronavirus situation has meant that some cemeteries have had to close.
There is no general requirement to close cemeteries during the coronavirus outbreak - the decision on whether or not to close a cemetery lies with the organisation that maintains it.
Cemeteries maintained by Buckinghamshire Council are remaining open for the time being, though we ask people to limit visits to two people and to observe social distancing precautions. This situation is under constant review in the light of the developing situation and is subject to any further guidance issued by the government.
The following cemeteries are maintained by Buckinghamshire Council, and remain open for the time being:
- High Wycombe Cemetery
- Holtspur Cemetery, Broad Lane, Beaconsfield
- Parkside Cemetery, Windsor Road, Hedgerley
- Shepherds Lane Cemetery, Shepherds Lane, Beaconsfield
The majority of cemeteries are maintained by local parish or town councils, who will make their own decisions on whether a cemetery remains open based on their own local circumstances. Anyone wishing to visit one of these cemeteries should check online or otherwise contact the town or parish council concerned.
These are some of the cemeteries in Buckinghamshire maintained by town or parish councils:
- Bowstridge Lane Cemetery - Chalfont St. Giles Parish Council
- Brackley Road Cemetery, Buckingham - Buckingham Town Council
- Chesham Bois Burial Ground - Chesham Bois Parish Council
- Chesham Cemetery - Chesham Town Council
- Furze Lane Burial Ground, Winslow - Winslow Town Council
- Garden of Rest Cemetery, Denham Lane, Chalfont St Peter - Chalfont St Peter Parish Council
- Great Missenden Cemetery (and extension) - Great Missenden Parish Council
- Marlow Town Cemetery, Wethered Road - Marlow Town Council
- Platt Cemetery, Amersham - Amersham Town Council
- St. Mary's Cemetery, Amersham – Amersham Town Council
- Stanley Hill Cemetery, Amersham - Amersham Town Council
- Stratton Memorial Garden, Princes Risborough - Princes Risborough Town Council
- Tring Road Cemetery, Aylesbury - Aylesbury Town Council
- Wooburn Cemetery - Wooburn and Bourne End Parish Council
Note that graveyards and cemeteries connected with parish churches are usually maintained by the Church of England.