The Queen's Platinum Jubilee
On Thursday 2 June 2022, the Queen celebrated her Platinum Jubilee, marking 70 years on the throne. Residents across Buckinghamshire celebrated with street parties, community events and beacon lighting.
View a gallery of photos and videos of Jubilee celebrations in Buckinghamshire.
The Queen’s Green Canopy
Throughout the Queen’s Jubilee year, Buckinghamshire Council is supporting The Queen's Green Canopy (QGC). The Queen’s Green Canopy is a unique tree planting initiative created to mark the occasion which invites people from across the United Kingdom to "Plant a Tree for the Jubilee".
The next tree planting season starts in October 2022 and all trees planted up until Spring 2023 can count towards The Queen’s Green Canopy.
70 Trees for 70 Years
In honour of the Jubilee, we asked Buckinghamshire residents to nominate their favourite trees and woodlands in the county.
Lord Lieutenant’s Service of Thanksgiving
The Countess Howe, Lord Lieutenant for Buckinghamshire, hosted a Service of Thanksgiving for HM The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee at All Saints Parish Church in High Wycombe on Sunday 29 May.
The service was streamed live and you can watch the service online or view the order of service.
Platinum Jubilee schools cake competition
Buckinghamshire Council hosted a schools cake competition in honour of the Jubilee. The grand finale took place on 7 June 2022 and the winners were Chiltern Way Academy. Swanbourne Church of England School came second and Loudwater Combined School took third place.
The judging panel was made up of Buckinghamshire Swan Envoy Lorraine Kelly, The Countess Howe, Lord Lieutenant for Buckinghamshire, Buckinghamshire Chairman Dev Dhillon, Councillor Anita Cranmer and Chief Executive Rachael Shimmin.
Congratulations to everyone who took part and created delicious Jubilee-themed cakes.
Street party road closures
We supported over 90 street closures to help friends and neighbours celebrate the Jubilee together. We hope everyone who took part had a fantastic time celebrating.
We have reinstated our usual terms and conditions for temporary road closures. If you’re planning an event, please see our road closure guidance.
Supporting communities to celebrate the Jubilee
In support of the Jubilee, we:
- offered a free tree to every school, care home and nursery in the county as part of the "plant a tree for the Jubilee" scheme (236 organisations took up this offer)
- have developed tree planting guidance for community groups including advice for planting on highways land
- are working towards our aim of planting over 500,000 trees over the next 10 years and producing the Woodland Creation Design Plans for phase 1 of the project
- have ensured that our Community Boards are supporting their local communities to celebrate both the environment and the Jubilee
- encouraged schools to celebrate the Jubilee through projects such as veteran tree appreciation, creative art installations and inter-generational planting activities
- created activity packs for schools, care homes and residents