Celebrating His Majesty King Charles III’s Coronation

If you are planning to celebrate His Majesty King Charles III’s Coronation in May 2023 here is some useful information to help you plan your event safely.

Different types of street party you can hold

A small event which doesn't need a road closure

This is called a Street Meet. You can do this without letting us know; view the Street Party website for more information. You just need to make sure you keep the pavements clear to allow people to move safely through the street.

A street party that requires a road closure

You’ll need to apply for a temporary road closure over the Bank Holiday weekend (6 to 8 May 2023). Apply by 7 April 2023. Any applications received after this date may be declined because of the impact on emergency service routes.

A large public event

If your event is being organised professionally and publicised widely and anyone is welcome to attend, you can view more advice on our public event guidance page.

Events with a paid bar, entertainment or charges to raise money

You’ll need a temporary events notice, view more information on our temporary events page. Apply by 7 April 2023.

How to apply for a road closure to hold a street party

We want to help communities celebrate this occasion by providing guidance for holding a street party. If you are planning a street party or any other event on the public highway you will need to apply for a temporary road closure. A temporary closure means that all vehicles are kept out but the road is still open to pedestrians.

We have waived the road closure fee for when a temporary road closure is requested for a Coronation street party being held between Saturday 6 May and Monday 8 May 2023.

Request an application form

Request an application form for a temporary road closure by emailing us on [email protected].

The deadline for applications is 7 April 2023.

Once you have submitted your application we aim to respond within 2 to 3 weeks. Apply as soon as possible because we may need to discuss other options if there is a conflict with other events.

Requests for temporary road closures on main roads will not be accepted. We encourage closures on smaller roads and cul-de-sacs.

Insurance cover

We recommend that you purchase public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party. For further advice visit the Street Party Site and The Big Lunch. The costs can always be split between residents, or ask for donations to cover the costs.

Buckinghamshire Council will not be held responsible for any damage to property, or injury to any person arising from or in connection with the street party, or other events.

Risk assessments

In most cases you do not need a risk assessment for small street parties, however, we would encourage you to complete one as the event organiser with responsibility for attendees' safety. You may wish to think about how you can minimise risks and have a backup plan. For example:

  • what to do if there was extreme weather (for example hot, cold or wet)
  • use of reusable plastic plates and cups rather than glass
  • making sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque
  • slip, trip and fall hazards

Alcohol licences

Licences are only required if alcohol is sold.

At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you need a temporary events notice.

Entertainment licence

You will not need an entertainment licence if:

  • your street party is private for residents only
  • the music is not advertised in advance to attract people (live or recorded)
  • you are not making money

Permit for serving food

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has confirmed that one-off events such as street parties aren’t usually considered food businesses, so you do not need a permit. However, you must ensure that any food provided is safe to eat.

The FSA website provides more advice about providing safe food at street parties and other community events. The NHS website has practical tips on how to prepare and cook food safely.

Permissions for a tombola or raffle

You do not have to register a lottery (which includes raffles, sweepstakes and tombolas) if you are running an ‘incidental lottery’, but tickets can only be sold at the event and prizes cannot be rolled over from one event to another.

Anyone at the event (including children) can take part in this sort of lottery. No more than £100 can be deducted from the proceeds of the lottery to cover the expenses incurred in organising the lottery (for example ticket printing), and no more than £500 can be spent on prizes (not including donated prizes).

The Gambling Commission’s website has more information about running a lottery.

Cleaning up after the party

You will need to clean up after your street party.

Let people know in advance what time the street party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Take your rubbish and recycling home. If you have too much recycling to store at home, you can take it to one of our Household Recycling Centres.

Do not leave bin bags on the streets as this may attract foxes and vermin.

Holding a large public event

For larger-scale events that are open to the general public and publicised more widely, view our organising a public event page.

There are different timescales that are required for your event application based on the size and scale of your event. For larger events as a minimum we will require a completed risk assessment, event management plan, site plan and proof of public liability insurance.

The Bank Holiday on Monday 8 May

On Monday 8 May 2023, members of the public are being invited to take part in The Big Help Out, which will encourage people to try volunteering for themselves and join the work being undertaken to support their local areas.

We are also working with local volunteering organisations to publicise how you can get involved in your own local communities, charities and organisations both on 8 May and in the future. The Buckinghamshire Volunteer Matching Service, run by Community Impact Bucks, matches registered volunteers to roles where they are most needed in the county. If you are 18 or over, they would love to hear from you: new volunteer positions are regularly sent to us by organisations needing your help.

National Lottery funding

Funding is available of up to £10,000 for events and activities through the 'National Lottery Awards for All' programme and community groups are encouraged to apply.

National Lottery Awards for All applications for the Coronation weekend should be made by Friday 24 March.

View the funding criteria and terms and conditions.

Central Government resources

The Department for Digital, Culture and Sport will be launching a Coronation website with resources and an interactive map. This will be publicised in the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities local government bulletin once available. Subscribe to the bulletin.

Let us know how you are celebrating His Majesty King Charles III’s Coronation

If you want to let other people know what you are doing to celebrate the Coronation or you want to find out what is going on in your area, check out our Bucks Online Directory; you can add your event or look for what’s happening across Bucks.

The government is also inviting members of the public and community organisations across the UK to share how they'll celebrate the Coronation on a national digital map.

View the digital Coronation map.

Ticket ballot for the Coronation Concert

The Coronation Concert is taking place on Sunday 7 May 2023 in the grounds of Windsor Castle. It will bring together music icons and contemporary stars together in celebration of this historic occasion.

Attended by a public audience including volunteers from The King and The Queen Consort’s many charity affiliations, the concert will see a world-class orchestra play interpretations of musical favourites fronted by fantastic entertainers, alongside performers from the world of dance and the arts. The performances will be supported by staging and effects located on the Castle’s East Lawn and will also feature a selection of spoken word sequences delivered by stars of stage and screen.

There are 10,000 tickets available through a ballot. View more information on HM The King's Coronation Ticket ballot.

We will update this webpage as further information becomes available.