Find out about fostering
Find out if you can become a foster carer
There are very few barriers to applying to become a foster carer. For example, you can foster if you are married or single, already have children or are from the LGBTQ+ community.
You will need:
- a spare room exclusively for the foster child
- to be over 21 years old
- to have indefinite leave to remain or full residency within the UK
The qualities you will need
Foster carers will need to have:
- good communication skills
- sensitivity and understanding
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work as part of a team
- good record keeping skills
- the ability to set firm boundaries and manage children's behaviour
Enid has been fostering with Buckinghamshire Council for 11 years and told us about her experience fostering teenagers.
Get in touch via our online enquiry form.