Wendover Community Library Design Concept
The New Wendover Community Library will be a community hub, transformed to reach a wider section of the community with a broader range of information and activities with a particular focus on culture, health and wellbeing and inclusion
Books and reading will remain absolutely central to the new library, but the vision is to reinforce the library as the focal point for the community by promoting it as the main point of access to local information and services in Wendover. We will do this by expanding the library, creating new flexible meeting space and developing partnerships with new organisations. One priority will be to support economic regeneration in Wendover by developing tourist and visitor information and by celebrating Wendover as the gateway to the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The library will be physically transformed with a redesigned exterior and interior, including an extension into the current courtyard. An aesthetic glass entrance will increase visibility and access, leading through to an attractive refitted interior which will offer additional flexible spaces and meeting rooms as well as a larger children’s library. The library garden will be improved to become an attractive and accessible easily maintained space which will also allow for outdoor meetings in the warmer months.
The library will also be much more environmentally sustainable, with a range of new features to reduce energy consumption and save water.
Re-designed interior with new spaces and facilities
- A new sensory children's library will be created which will be double the size of the existing children’s library. It will be visible from the front of the building.
- The library will be extended into the courtyard creating an open and welcoming multi-purpose reception space which can be used for exhibitions, community engagement, information displays.
- The kitchen and toilet facilities will be refitted.
- An additional flexible meeting space for community activities or private hire is to be added.
- Opening up of existing interior walls will provide visibility through the library from the entrance.
- The roof will have glazed sections to increase natural light and improve building energy efficiency
- A comfortable seating area will be added for library users.
Tell us what you think
We want to know what you think of the new Wendover Library.
Help us by filling out the Wendover Library improvement project survey
Email us with your feedback [email protected]
Keep up to date
Keep up to date with the progress of the project with our Wendover Community Library improvement project blogs.
Click here to go back to Wendover Community Library improvement project